Thursday, December 15, 2016

Tuesday, December 13. Going home

And in the blink of an eye, it was over.

I left to fly home on Tuesday, arriving Wednesday, a 7,000 miles journey via São Paulo and Panama in just about 24 hours; pretty much the same distance we had sailed these last three months. Add in the 9,500 mile flight to Mauritius and I get 23,500 miles, so pretty much around the world  in 108 days, Phileas Fogg's benchmark is safe.

Flying in South America is much less of a hassle than flying in North America, at least in the wee small hours. Clean airports, efficient and helpful staff, newer planes. My ridiculously heavy bag was checked through to Boston. I got all the boarding passes for the two airlines at the initial check in and hardly had to break my stride for the security check. I travelled with a couple of Baptist missionaries from North Carolina; their fluent Portuguese greased the wheels in São Paulo.

And so, to pinch a line from The Beach Boys...

... I couldn't wait to get back in the States
Back to the cutest girl in the world


_____________________

Thanks to Zeke for the opportunity of a lifetime
Thanks to Nora for putting up with and old geezer
Thanks to the crews of Maggie and Tahawus for the home away from home
Thanks to the dozens of people who helped and informed us with grace and friendliness

No comments:

Post a Comment